Whether attending school for the first time ever, starting at a new school, or returning to school after summer break is a big step. Parents can have the same anxiety as their child. Here are some helpful tips.
- For young children explain step by step how their day will go.
- Visit the school and schoolyard. Take the opportunity to meet teachers or walk schedule.
- Acknowledge their feelings and yours.
- Let them know it is okay to be nervous.
- Give them the space and time to talk and share their fears and what is on their mind.
- Establish bedtimes and morning routines.
- Practice using new backpack zippers, lunch boxes , using buttons and tying shoes.
- Older students should practice using school login, platforms and apps
- Don’t forget to practice opening locks and memorizing combinations .
- Ask your child to choose outfits for first week of school
- Together pack backpack so they know what is inside.
Friends and Teachers
- Talk about shared likes and interest.
- If time permits, set up a play date with classmates.
Once School Starts
- Let your child know what to expect.
- Add a “ love note” in a child’s lunch or pencil case to ease separation anxiety.
- If your child is super nervous, give them an item of yours to hold for the day.
- After school, ask your child to tell you the three most memorable things from their day.
- Praise your child for brave behavior.
- Visit pediatrician. Make sure your child is up to date with all recommended vaccines.
- Practice proper hand hygiene and explain why it is important.
- Be familiar with school water policy. Pack a water bottle if allowed.
- Talk about precautions at their school, fire drills, tornado or earthquake drill, and intruder drills.
Remember, you’ve got this!